Current:Home > ContactNorth Carolina revenue decline means alternate sources for voucher spending considered -Capitatum
North Carolina revenue decline means alternate sources for voucher spending considered
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 08:46:48
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Recently lowered revenue projections for North Carolina state government are making some state legislators think more carefully about how to pay to cover the new high demand for K-12 private school scholarships.
The Senate passed earlier this month a measure that would set aside $468 million more for now for the Opportunity Scholarship program. Scholarship applications soared for the fall after the General Assembly agreed to end the income caps under which families could qualify. But there wasn’t enough money earmarked to cover everyone on the waitlist.
The bill would need one more affirmative House vote to go to Gov. Roy Cooper’s desk. But House Speaker Tim Moore told reporters on Wednesday that his chamber is looking at alternate sources of money to cover the demand in part because of a revenue forecast downgrade late last week. While state economists estimated the state will still have nearly $1 billion more in cash at its disposal through mid-2025, the amount is $430 million less than what was projected in April.
Republican legislative leaders in both chambers have made addressing the program’s funding gap a high priority during this year’s annual work session.
“We 100% support fully funding the Opportunity Scholarships,” Moore said. “Really the question now is not the funding and nor ... really the amount of funding. It’s going to be the source of funds.”
Moore said the Senate’s legislation would use that additional cash to meet the scholarship demand, but House Republicans believe there may be sources where that funding can be taken without affecting the state budget process. Moore didn’t elaborate on those sources, saying options were part of negotiations with the Senate. The General Assembly’s chief job this session is to adjust the second year of the current two-year budget.
Cooper, a Democrat, opposes the private-school scholarships and wants to block any program expansion.
veryGood! (1494)
Related
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Suspect in shooting of 3 deputies in Illinois had multiple firearms, sheriff says
- Palestinian family recounts horror of Israel's hostage rescue raid that left a grandfather in mourning
- Palestinian family recounts horror of Israel's hostage rescue raid that left a grandfather in mourning
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Katie Ledecky, Caeleb Dressel lead stars at 2024 US Olympic swimming trials
- Watch Georgia man's narrow escape before train crashes into his truck
- Watch Georgia man's narrow escape before train crashes into his truck
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Supreme Court strikes down Trump-era ban on rapid-fire rifle bump stocks, reopening political fight
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Foes of New York Packaging Bill Used Threats of Empty Grocery Shelves to Defeat Plastics Bill
- How hydroponic gardens in schools are bringing fresh produce to students
- Washington man spends week in jail after trespassing near Yellowstone's Steamboat Geyser
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- New initiative tests nonpartisan observation in Missoula primary
- Dozens of hikers sickened after visiting Grand Canyon's Havasupai Falls
- Euro 2024 squads: Full roster for every team
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
Zac Efron Reacts to Ex Vanessa Hudgens Becoming a Mom as She Expects First Baby With Husband Cole Tucker
Conor McGregor fight vs. Michael Chandler off UFC 303 card, Dana White announces
Indian doctor says he found part of a human finger in his ice cream cone
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
San Francisco park where a grandmother was fatally beaten will now have her name
Army Corps finds soil contaminated under some St. Louis-area homes, but no health risk
Trevor Lawrence agrees to $275 million extension with Jacksonville Jaguars